The story of Regina Hospital actually began on October 28, 1948, when the Catholic Sisters who operated Halloran Hospital in Jackson, Minnesota, received a letter from Demetrius Hagmann, a priest at St. Boniface Church. The letter asked the Sisters, who had come from Holland, if they would consider opening a "Sisters’ Hospital" in Hastings.
The request was initially declined "for want of Sisters," but on June 9, 1949, the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of Mercy, met with several members of the Hastings Hospital Committee to discuss the plans for the new hospital.
Regina Hospital, part of Allina Health, is
incorporated in Minnesota as a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation providing
health care services. Allina Health also operates clinics in Hastings and
Cottage Grove, Minnesota and Prescott, Wisconsin.
Regina Hospital, faithful to its Catholic traditions of respect for human life, will serve our communities by providing exceptional care, as we prevent illness, restore health and provide comfort to all who entrust us with their care.
Regina Hospital has seen many changes
since it opened its doors in 1953. Today, it is a 57-bed acute care hospital
employing almost 400 employees and with a 250-plus medical staff. The
three-strong Spiritual Care Department is vital to the mission of Regina. The
Regina Foundation was established for the sole purpose of fund raising,
bequests and donations, to support the activities of Regina Hospital and the
neighboring Regina Senior Living facility, which is owned and operated by
Benedictine Health System.
Hastings Hospital Committee in 1949