1951 Ground breaking took place on November 21, 1951. Mr. Harold Hoffman, who donated the land for the facility, turned over the first spadeful of earth.
1958 In 1958, Regina expanded its facilities by adding a new wing which included a 20-bed pediatric department, a second operating room and large post-op room, a 4-bed intensive care unit, an additional x-ray unit and an expanded laboratory.
1965 On November 11, 1965, the first elderly residents were admitted to the new 61-bed nursing home and 90-bed residence. The addition also included a chapel.
1970 In 1970, John W. Junkman was appointed administrator and Sister Tabitha Van Deursen was appointed President. In the early 1970's, Regina built a medical building near the hospital to provide physicians with office space.
1984 1984 saw additional expansion to Regina, including a larger emergency room area and an outpatient recovery suite for same day surgery patients. The addition was named for and dedicated in memory of Dr. Herman T. Fasbender, who, until his untimely death at age 56, was the longest practicing physician in Hastings.
1988 In 1988, Regina helped organize and build a second medical clinic. The River Valley Clinic was located adjacent to the hospital and was designed to accommodate 20 physicians, with a specialty suite for visiting consultants. River Valley Clinic is now Allina Medical Clinic - Hastings.
1991In February 1991, Lynn W. Olson joined Regina as assistant administrator.
Following John Junkman's retirement in March of 1992, Olson became chief
executive officer, the fourth in its nearly 50 year history. On September 16, 1991, the Sisters of Charity transferred Regina Medical Center
to the community of Hastings. No money exchanged hands. The hospital was the
Sister's gift to the community. Regina was established as a Private Juridic
Person by the Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis and is a Catholic Hospital
open to all religions and cultures.
19931993 witnessed the merger of Dr. Larry Erickson's medical clinic practice with
Regina Medical Center. He became the first physician employed by Regina.
1994In 1994, a newly remodeled and expanded critical care wing was developed, the
Senior Living was remodeled and the Healthy for Life™ Wellness Center
opened. During this same year, Dr. Erickson's medical practice and Hastings
Family Practice, a group of four family medicine physicians merged to create
Regina Medical Group.
1995A new medical clinic was opened in nearby Prescott, Wisconsin in 1995. Regina
Medical Group, Regina's clinic services division, has grown to include over 20
providers in the areas of family medicine, general surgery, pediatrics and
emergency medicine. On December 21, 1995, Regina broke ground for a 12,000 square foot surgical
center, an operational joint venture between Regina Medical Center and Allina
Health System, the parent company of Allina Medical Clinic.
1996In 1996, through Regina's Nursing Home Preservation
Project, resident rooms were renovated and the dayroom and nurses' station was
remodeled. Two private rooms were added and the corridors were enhanced, all
with the goal of providing a more homelike atmosphere for residents.
1998Groundbreaking for a new assisted living Senior Living and the Tabitha Memory Care Center took place on September 17, 1998. It opened to residents on February 1, 2000, and was dedicated on June 25, 2000.
1999March 9, 1999, marked the passing of Sr. Tabitha Van Deursen, whose vision
and dedication not only helped build Regina into what it is today, but also
ensured its mission long into the future. The new Regina Medical Group Hastings Clinic opened on
June 21, 1999, in a newly built addition to the Hastings Medical Building, a
multi-tenant medical professional facility located on the west side of Regina
2000In March 2000, Stewart W. Laird joined Regina Medical Center as the Interim
President and Chief Executive Officer. The Regina Foundation was created in October 2000. The Foundation is a
not-for-profit corporation under Regina Healthcare, Inc. The sole purpose of
the Foundation is to raise funds, manage bequests and donations to support the
activities of Regina Medical Center.
2001On January 2, 2001, Mark D. Wilson became the fifth President/Chief Executive
Officer of Regina Medical Center.
2002On January 16, 2002, Regina broke ground for a $14 million
project involving adding to and renovating the existing building to provide new
space for a Family Birthing Center, Medical/Surgical Unit, Intensive Care Unit
and Laboratory. The Conference Center, Health Information Services, Information
Technology and Quality Management departments were also included in this
project. The Regina Medical Group Clinic in Prescott moved to a
larger location in September 2002. We expanded hours and added a second full
time family medicine doctor.
2003On January 22, 2003, Regina Medical Group opened a third clinic located in
Cottage Grove, MN, with full laboratory and x-ray services. Full time pediatric
and family practice physicians see patients daytime and evening. It was standing room only on Friday, November 21, 2003
- Regina Medical Center's 50th Anniversary - as Bishop Richard Pates from the
Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis presided at a special dedication held in
the lobby of Regina's newly constructed addition. Employees, retirees, medical
staff, board members and community leaders attended tours of the new patient
care areas and enjoyed refreshments following the ceremony.
2005In the fall of 2005, Regina began the long term
process of converting to an electronic medical record system with completion
estimated in 2010.
2006In January of 2006, a fourth operating room was opened in
the Surgery Center to accommodate the increase in the number of
surgeries. Under discussion for several months, the draft of the collaboration Letter
of Intent was signed between Regina Medical Center and Allina Health System in
July of 2006. Also in July of 2006, Father John Marley was called by the Columban Fathers
to serve in Chicago. Father Robert Altier from the St. Paul Archdiocese was
appointed to the Regina Chapel as the full-time residing priest. In late winter of 2006, the YMCA broke ground on the Regina campus and opened
its doors to enthusiastic members on September 4, 2007. The Regina Orthopedic
& Sports Therapy Center moved from the basement of the Medical Building to
new space on the first floor of the YMCA.
2007In September 2007, Regina Healthcare and Regina Medical
Center approved a $6 million project to move the Gastrointestinal (GI) Lab to
the Surgery Center,
expand the Emergency Department and add 10 inpatient beds
to the Medical/Surgical floor. On October 1, 2007, the partnership agreement between Regina Medical Center and
Allina Hospitals and Clinics was approved. Regina Medical Group officially
became Allina Medical Clinic. This was a culmination of many years of
discussion between the two entities with the goal to provide unified medical
services to the community. The Regina Medical Group Cottage Grove clinic was closed on
October 1, 2007. Dr. Angela Parsons moved to the Allina Medical Clinic-Cottage
Dr. Carol Johnson moved to the Allina Medical
Clinic-Hastings, Nininger Site.
2008Regina recruited a Pastoral Care Director in September
2008. The new position, supported financially by the Regina Foundation through
the Ecumenical Spiritual Care Endowment Fund, furthers the mission of Regina
Medical Center and the legacy of the Sisters of Charity and Father Jim Dunne to
care for the spiritual needs of patients, residents and families. The new Outpatient Procedure Services Department was
completed in the fall of 2008. The GI procedure area moved to the new space in
October which is conveniently attached to the Surgery Center providing more
efficient patient services and additional square footage for this busy
department. Completion of the new procedure area made way for the extensive remodel of the
old GI Lab space for the expansion of the adjacent Emergency Department which
was completed in November 2008. As part of the multi-million dollar GI and Emergency Department expansion,
Regina completely renovated the old second floor hospital and ICU space
creating a new inpatient overflow floor and what would be the future sleep
2009In March of 2009, Regina Senior Living began the Adult Day Program for
seniors living in the community and the surrounding area. In April of 2009, Regina opened a new 28-bed Memory Care
Community by remodeling the entire second floor of the Assisted Living wing.
The unit was named after Sister Pauline, a much beloved nun from the Sisters of
Charity of our Lady, Mother of Mercy order. A Transitional Care Unit opened in the Regina Nursing Home in April of 2009,
offering short-term skilled care to meet medical and rehabilitation needs,
specializing in the care of adults who have undergone total joint replacement.
The Senior Therapy Center, located near the Nursing Home, helps to restore
patients back to a functional level so they can safely return to their previous
environment. A remodel in Medical Imaging created a dedicated
mammography suite. The new digital mammography machine enhances the quality of
diagnostic tools available to women in Hastings and the surrounding community.
It was completed in October 2009.
2014On December 18, 2014 Regina Hospital had a ground breaking ceremony to mark the start of construction on a new Emergency Department expansion. January 1, 2014, Regina Medical
Center became Regina Hospital and a part of the Allina Health system. You can expect the same great
level of care, the same compassionate staff and the added benefits of being
connected to one of Minnesota's largest and most respected health care
Salve Regina Memorial Hospital officially opened on November 21, 1953, with 50 beds, two of which were designated for children.