Netupitant/palonosetron (By mouth)
Netupitant (net-UE-pi-tant), Palonosetron (pal-oh-NOE-se-tron)
Prevents nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy.
AkynzeoThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to netupitant or palonosetron.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how netupitant/palonosetron works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Fentanyl, ketoconazole, lithium, midazolam, mirtazapine, rifampin, tramadol
- MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
- Medicine to treat depression (SSRI or SSNRI)
- Medicine to treat migraine headaches
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney or liver disease.
- This medicine may cause a serious drug reaction called serotonin syndrome (more likely if used together with certain other medicines).
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, restlessness, fast heartbeat, fever, sweating, muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Indigestion or upset stomach
- Tiredness or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.