Dimethyl fumarate (By mouth)
Dimethyl Fumarate (dye-METH-il FUE-ma-rate)
Treats multiple sclerosis (MS).
TecfideraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dimethyl fumarate.
How to Use This Medicine:
Delayed Release Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- You may have less skin flushing if you take this medicine with food.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush or chew it. Do not sprinkle the contents of the capsule on food.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Once you have opened a bottle, throw away any unused medicine after 90 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any type of infection.
- This medicine may lower your white blood cell count, which could increase your risk of getting an infection. Avoid people who are ill, and wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever or chills, cough, lower back or side pain, painful or difficult urination
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Skin rash or itching
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.