Vismodegib (By mouth)
Treats basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer).
ErivedgeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to vismodegib or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not break, crush, or open it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Women should use an effective form of birth control during treatment and for 7 months after the last dose. Men (including those who had a vasectomy) should use a condom during sex while they are taking this medicine and for 3 months after the last dose.
- Do not breastfeed during treatment and for 7 months after your last dose.
- Do not donate blood or blood products while you are taking this medicine and for 7 months after treatment ends. Men should not donate semen while taking this medicine and for 3 months after the last dose.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in taste, decreased appetite, weight loss
- Diarrhea, nausea
- Hair loss
- Muscle spasms
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.