Procaine (By injection)
Numbs part of your body for a short time so surgery or another medical procedure can be done.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to procaine or aminobenzoic acid
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin, into a muscle, or into your lower back along your spine.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how procaine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Sulfa drug
- MAO inhibitor
- Medicine to treat depression (TCA)
- Ergot medicine
- Medicine to treat mental illness
- Phenothiazine medicine (such as chlorpromazine, perphenazine, promethazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, any kind of infection, asthma or other breathing problems, kidney disease, digestive problems, diabetes, or problems caused by other anesthetic medicines.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfites or if you have heart disease, heart block, heart rhythm problems, circulation problems, or high or low blood pressure.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy after your procedure. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until your doctor says it is okay.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Headache, stiff neck, back pain
- Nervousness, restlessness, anxiety, drowsiness, blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears, shaking, muscle twitch
- Slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat
- Sudden or severe headache
- Trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.