Brilliant green/gentian violet/proflavine (On the skin)
Brilliant Green (bril-YENT green), Gentian Violet (JEN-shun VYE-oh-let), Proflavine Sulfate (PROE-flay-vin SUL-fate)
Cleans the umbilical cord stump of newborn babies to prevent infection.
Kerr Triple DyeThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not apply it if your baby had an allergic reaction to brilliant green, gentian violet, or proflavine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Use this medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your baby's eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply the medicine with the applicator provided. Allow the skin to dry before you put on clothes.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose or forget to apply the medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your baby's next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.