Lubiprostone (By mouth)
Treats constipation. Also treats irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with constipation in women. This medicine is a stool softener.
AmitizaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to lubiprostone, or if you have stomach or bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Take this medicine with food and water. This will help lessen the chance of nausea.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how lubiprostone works. Tell your doctor if you are using methadone or a blood pressure medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, low blood pressure, severe diarrhea, or a sudden change in bowel movements.
- This medicine may make you feel dizzy or lightheaded. Stand or sit up slowly if you are dizzy. This is more likely to happen when you begin to use the medicine or if you become dehydrated.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Severe diarrhea, stomach pain or swelling
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.