Conivaptan (By injection)
Treats low sodium levels.
VaprisolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to conivaptan.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine if you are also using clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, or ritonavir.
- Some medicines can affect how conivaptan works. Tell your doctor if you are using digoxin, midazolam, or simvastatin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, or trouble urinating.
- Do not breastfeed during treatment with this medicine.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Osmotic demyelination syndrome (nerve problem)
- Infusion site reactions
- This medicine may make you feel dizzy or lightheaded. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting
- Headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Severe weakness, or tingling or numbness in your hands, feet, or lips
- Trouble breathing, speaking, or swallowing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.