Miconazole (On the skin)
Miconazole Nitrate (mye-KON-a-zole NYE-trate)
Treats fungal infections.
Aloe Vesta Antifungal, Antifungal, Baza Antifungal, Critic-Aid Clear AF, Cruex Prescription Strength, Desenex, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 3, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazorb AF, Good Sense Anti-Fungal, Good Sense Miconazole 3, Leader Miconazole 3 Combination Pack, Leader Miconazole Nitrate, Leader Miconazorb AF, Lotrimin AF, MicatinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to miconazole.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Spray, Ointment, Powder, Lotion
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the skin area before applying the medicine.
- To use the powder, cream, lotion, or ointment, apply a thin layer of medicine over the affected area. Use this medicine each morning and each evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- To use the spray, shake the can well just before each use. Hold the can about 4 to 6 inches away from your skin and spray on a thin layer of medicine over the affected area. Do not inhale the fumes from the spray. Use this medicine each morning and each evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. If the spray can clogs, remove the spray button and clean the nozzle with a pin.
- Before using the effervescent tablet, clean your feet and dry them thoroughly. Fill a pan or foot bath tub with 1 gallon of warm water and drop in 1 effervescent tablet. Soak your feet for 15 to 30 minutes, and then pat them dry with a towel.
- When treating athlete's foot, be sure to apply this medicine to the spaces in between your toes. Between treatments, keep your feet as dry as possible. Change your socks and shoes at least once each day. Wear shoes that fit you well and do not make your feet sweat heavily.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Do not inhale the spray or use it near heat, open flame, or while smoking. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Do not use this medicine on a child under 2 years of age unless your doctor tells you to. Supervise any child who does use this medicine to make sure he or she uses it properly.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- This medicine is not for treating infections of the scalp, fingernails, or toenails.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- No improvement in athlete's foot after 4 weeks of using this medicine.
- No improvement in jock itch after 2 weeks of using this medicine.
- No improvement in ringworm after 4 weeks of using this medicine.
- Worsening of your condition.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Minor irritation of treated skin areas.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.