Pentetate zinc trisodium (By breathing)
Pentetate Zinc Trisodium (PEN-te-tate zink trye-SOE-dee-um )
Removes harmful substances such as plutonium, americium, or curium from your body.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, there is no reason why you should not receive this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer.
- Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will prevent the exposure of your bladder from the risks of radiation.
- Your doctor may want you to take mineral supplements while you are receiving this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma or kidney disease.
- While you are receiving this medicine, fluids from your body may contain radioactive material that can be harmful to others. Body fluids include urine, breast milk, mucus (phlegm from coughing), and stools. Talk with your doctor about the precautions you need to take to protect yourself and others.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood, stools, or urine while you are receiving this medicine and possibly for several weeks afterward. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain in your lower stomach or pelvis.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.