Lidocaine/dextrose premix (By injection)
Dextrose (DEX-trose), Lidocaine (LYE-doe-kane)
Treats emergency heart rhythm problems.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dextrose, lidocaine, corn products, or to other types of local anesthetics (numbing medicine). You should not receive this medicine if you have certain heart rhythm problems.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using digoxin (Lanoxin®), propranolol, or cimetidine (Tagamet®). Tell your doctor if you are also using medicine for seizures such as phenytoin (Dilantin®, Depakote®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicines to treat heart rhythm problems such as amiodarone (Cordarone®), procainamide (Procan®, Procanbid®, Pronestyl®), or quinidine (Cardioquin®, Quinaglute®, Quinidex).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision or double vision.
- Chest pain or shallow breathing.
- Feeling nervous, restless, or anxious.
- Fever, sweating, confusion, irregular heartbeat, or muscle stiffness.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Tremors or seizures.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness.
- Muscle twitching.
- Ringing in your ears.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.