Inhaled anesthetic (By breathing)
Used before and during surgery to keep you asleep. Some forms of inhaled anesthesia may be used during childbirth.
Compound 347, Forane, Sojourn, Suprane, Suprane Novaplus, Terrell, Terrell Novaplus, Ultane, Ultane NovationThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You may not be able to receive it if you had an allergic reaction to anesthesia.
How to Use This Medicine:
- You will receive this medicine before and during your surgery. You will inhale the medicine through a mask placed over your mouth and nose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you take a beta-blocker or an MAOI.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, a history of seizures, or neuromuscular disease (such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy).
- Tell your doctor if you or a family member has ever had malignant hyperthermia (a dangerous rise in body temperature) after receiving anesthesia.
- This medicine may make you groggy, drowsy, or confused for a few days after you receive it. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you feel well.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, numbness in your hands, feet, or lips
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Difficulty breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Muscle stiffness, rapid breathing, pale skin, blue lips or fingernails
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shivering or shaking
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.