Sulfinpyrazone (By mouth)
Treats gouty arthritis.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sulfinpyrazone or phenylbutazone. You should not use this medicine if you have an active stomach ulcer or any kind of bleeding disorder such as anemia or thrombocytopenia.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the tablet or capsule whole. Do not crush, chew, or break it.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using sulfa drugs such as sulfadiazine or sulfisoxazole.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using insulin or diabetes medicine that you take by mouth such as glyburide, metformin, Actos®, Glucotrol®, or Glycophage®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), or salicylates such as aspirin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if have a history of stomach ulcer or kidney disease.
- Drink extra fluids so you will urinate more often and help prevent kidney problems.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Bloody vomit or vomit that looks like coffee ground.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Pale skin or pale lip color.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash.
- Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.