Sodium nitroprusside (By injection)
Sodium Nitroprusside (SOE-dee-um nye-troe-PRUS-ide)
Lowers blood pressure and treats severe congestive heart failure. Also reduces bleeding during surgery.
NitropressThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium nitroprusside. You should not receive this medicine if you have certain medical conditions. Your doctor will determine if this medicine is right for you.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine to lower blood pressure such as atenolol, lisinopril, metoprolol, quinapril, Accupuril®, Cozaar®, Diovan®, Lotrel®, Norvasc®, Toprol®, or Zestril®. Tell your doctor if you are using any heart medicines.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are receiving any medicines for anesthesia.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have anemia, kidney disease, or liver disease. Tell your doctor if you have any medical problem that causes increased pressure in your head.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are planning for any surgery.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme weakness, tiredness, or confusion.
- Fast or slow heartbeat, chest pain.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pale skin, pale lip color.
- Rapid breathing, trouble breathing, nausea or vomiting.
- Severe headache.
- Severe stomach pain or constipation.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in your vision.
- Dry skin, loss of hair, cold intolerance, rapid weight gain.
- Mild skin rash, increased sweating.
- Redness or warmth in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.