Pramoxine (Into the rectum)
Treats skin itching and pain caused by hemorrhoids.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to pramoxine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- This medicine is for use on the skin around your rectum only. Do not get this medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Shake the container well just before you dispense the medicine.
- Clean the affected area with mild soap and warm water before you apply this medicine. Gently dry the area with toilet tissue or a soft cloth.
- Spread the medicine on a tissue or piece of cotton, and then gently apply to the skin around your rectum.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine upright at room temperature. Do not store in the refrigerator or expose the can to heat. The can is pressurized, so never puncture or burn the package.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Do not push the medicine into your rectum, even with your fingers. Never insert the applicator or any object into your rectum.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your rectum
- Pain, redness, irritation, or swelling around your anus
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.