Amobarbital (By injection)
Treats insomnia and also makes you feel sleepy before surgery. This is a barbiturate.
Amytal SodiumThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to barbiturates, you are pregnant, or you have porphyria or certain types of liver disease or lung disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins or as a shot into a muscle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many medicines can interact with amobarbital. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are taking, especially the following:
- Blood thinner, such as warfarin
- Hormones, such as estradiol, estrone, or progesterone
- MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
- Seizure medicine
- Steroid medicine, such as hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisone
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, you have liver disease or severe pain in any part of your body, or you have severe depression or a history of drug addiction.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Abnormal behavior, drowsiness, or confusion
- Anxiety or agitation
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Pale skin or lips
- Slow heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or trouble sleeping
- Fever or headache
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or constipation
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.