Potassium iodide (By mouth)
Potassium Iodide (poe-TAS-ee-um EYE-oh-dide)
Loosens mucus in your chest and lungs. Also protects your thyroid gland from radiation.
SSKI, ThyroShieldThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to potassium iodide. You should not use this medicine if you have an overactive thyroid or goiter (due to lack of iodine), or if you have kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Drink half a glass (4 ounces) of water when you take this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep the bottle tightly closed after use.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, shortness of breath, or numbness or tingling in your hands, feet or lips.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Lumps in your armpits or neck.
- Metallic taste in your mouth.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Mild skin rash.
- Pain in your joints.
- Skin rash.
- Stomach pain.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.