Mineral oil/pramoxine/zinc oxide (On the skin)
Mineral Oil (MIN-er-al oyl), Pramoxine (pram-OX-een), Zinc Oxide (zink OX-ide)
Treats itching, burning, or pain in and around the anus caused by hemorrhoids.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to mineral oil, pramoxine, or to zinc.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is for use only on your skin in your anus or around your anus. Do not get any medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Clean the anal region with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly.
- Gently dry the area with toilet tissue or a soft cloth before applying the medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine applicator(s), containers, and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- You should not use this medicine for your child unless your doctor tells you to.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your rectum.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, irritation, swelling, or pain where you have applied the medicine.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.