Esmolol (By injection)
Treats heart rhythm problems. Also slows down a fast heartbeat and treats high blood pressure during or after surgery. This medicine is a beta-blocker.
BreviblocThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to esmolol.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how esmolol works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Epinephrine or norepinephrine
- Blood pressure medicine (such as clonidine, guanfacine, moxonidine, verapamil)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart or blood vessel disease, angina, heart failure, lung or breathing problems, diabetes, thyroid problems, or kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain that may spread, trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating
- Confusion, weakness, numbness in your hands or feet
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, redness, itching, swelling, burning, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.