Epinephrine/prilocaine (By injection)
Epinephrine (ep-i-NEF-rin), Prilocaine (PRIL-oh-kane)
Used to numb your lips and mouth during a dental procedure.
Citanest Forte DentalThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to epinephrine, prilocaine, amide anesthetics or sulfite. You should not receive this medicine if you have a blood-iron disorder such as methemoglobinemia.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other medicines that can interact with this medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using MAO inhibitors such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. Tell your doctor if you are using medicines for depression such as amitriptyline, imipramine, Norpramin®, or Vivactil®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using phenothiazines such as Compazine®, Phenergan®, Serentil®, or Thorazine®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma, heart disease, high blood pressure, liver disease, kidney disease or a blood problem called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are allergic to other medicines.
- This medicine will numb your lips, tongue, cheek, or mouth. Until you regain all the feeling, be careful that you do not injure the treated area. Avoid chewing food or drinking hot liquids until the sensations are back to normal.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme weakness, tiredness, or confusion.
- High fever, sweating, feeling faint, uneven heartbeat, or muscle stiffness.
- Numbness of your lips or mouth for a very long time.
- Rapid breathing, nausea, or vomiting.
- Seizure or tremors.
- Slow or fast heartbeat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, depression, or restlessness.
- Blurred or double vision.
- Mild drowsiness.
- Mild skin rash.
- Ringing in your ears.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.