Ethanol/dextrose premix (By injection)
Dextrose (DEX-trose), Ethanol (ETH-a-nol)
Provides energy to your body.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dextrose, ethanol, or corn products. You should not receive this medicine if you have epilepsy, diabetes, or problems urinating. You should not receive this medicine if you have a history of alcohol abuse.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine to lower blood pressure. Some blood pressure medicines are atenolol, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), lisinopril, metoprolol, quinapril, Accupril®, Cozaar®, Diovan®, Lotrel®, Norvasc®, Norvasc®, Toprol®, or Zestril®. Tell your doctor if you are using phenytoin (Dilantin®), tolbutamide, or warfarin (Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have gout, liver disease, or kidney disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had brain surgery or if you have had recently given birth to a baby.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion.
- Smell of alcohol in your breath.
- Warmth or redness of your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, pain, itching, burning, swelling, or rash where the needle is placed.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.