Antihemophilic factor viii/von willebrand factor (By injection)
Antihemophilic Factor VIII Human (an-tee-hee-moe-FIL-ik FAK-tor ATE HUE-man), Von Willebrand Factor Human (Von WILL-a-brand FAK-tor HUE-man)
Controls and prevents bleeding in hemophilia A and von Willebrand disease.
Alphanate, Humate-P, WilateThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to antihemophilic factor or von Willebrand factor.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you received a hepatitis A or hepatitis B vaccine shot, or you ever had a blood clot.
- This medicine may increase your risk for blood clots, especially if you have a history of clots.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Call your doctor right away if you continue to have bleeding problems even after you use this medicine. Also call if your medicine does not seem to be working as well as usual.
- This medicine is made from donated human blood. Some human blood products have transmitted certain viruses to people who have received them. Although the risk is low, talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, coughing up blood, or shortness of breath
- Fever or chills
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, sudden or severe headache, problems with speech, vision, or walking
- Pain or weakness in your calf
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching or skin rash
- Joint or muscle pain
- Nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.