Acetic acid (Inside the bladder)
Acetic Acid (a-SEE-tik AS-id)
Prevents bladder infections caused by bacteria from an indwelling urinary catheter. Also helps prevent calcium from clogging the catheter.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through your urinary catheter.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blood in your urine
- Extreme weakness, tiredness, or confusion
- Pain when using this medicine
- Rapid breathing, trouble breathing, or nausea and vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning or stinging around the catheter
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.