Edrophonium (By injection)
Used to diagnose myasthenia gravis and help select the proper treatment. Reverses the effect of certain muscle relaxants during surgery or after an overdose. This medicine is an anticholinesterase agent.
EnlonThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to edrophonium, neostigmine, pyridostigmine, or similar medicines. You should not receive this medicine if you have a blockage in your bowels, bladder, or kidneys.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or a vein.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use neostigmine (Prostigmin®) or pyridostigmine (Mestinon®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have asthma or other breathing problems, heart disease, heart rhythm problems, or a history of sulfite allergies.
- The stopper of the vial contains dry natural rubber, which may cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to latex. Tell your doctor if you have a latex allergy before you start using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, shallow breathing
- Fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate, not being able to control when you urinate
- Muscle weakness
- Seizures or fainting
- Trouble swallowing or speaking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Increased sweating
- Nausea, vomiting, increased saliva, diarrhea, stomach pain
- Vision changes, watery eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.