Penicillin G procaine (By injection)
Penicillin G Procaine (pen-i-SIL-in G PROE-kane)
Treats or helps prevent infections caused by certain types of bacteria. This medicine is an antibiotic.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to penicillin or procaine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It may also be given by a home health caregiver. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of asthma. Tell your doctor about any allergies you have to medicine, food, or other substances. Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking tetracycline or probenecid.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Diarrhea, or blood in your stool.
- Discomfort or trouble urinating, or a decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- New swelling anywhere in your body.
- Numbness, tingling, weakness, or trouble with movement.
- Seizures (convulsions).
- Trouble thinking clearly, hallucinations (sensing things that are not there), or a change in your behavior.
- Redness, pain, peeling skin, or a lump at the injection site. Also call if your skin suddenly turns pale, cold, or blue right after your injection.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or depression.
- Fever, shaking, or chills.
- Headache, joint pain, or muscle pain.
- White patches in your mouth or throat, vaginal itching, or unusual vaginal discharge.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.