Dipyridamole (By injection)
Used in place of exercise during certain heart tests.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to dipyridamole.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicines for breathing problems such as theophylline (Slo-Bid, Theo-Dur®).
- Tell your doctor if you use medicines, foods, or drinks that contain caffeine. You may need to avoid all caffeine for several hours before your test. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about eating and drinking before your test.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma or myasthenia gravis. Tell your doctor if you have a history of chest pain (angina), heart disease, or heart rhythm problems.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, swelling, or redness in the area where the needle is placed.
- Chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeat, wheezing, or coughing.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, or seizures (convulsions).
- Numbness, weakness, or new pain anywhere in your body.
- Sudden or severe headache, confusion, or problems with vision, speech, or movement.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Skin rashes, hot flashes, or warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.