Loperamide/simethicone (By mouth)
Loperamide (loe-PER-a-mide), Simethicone (sye-METH-i-kone)
Treats diarrhea, cramps, bloating, and pressure in your lower intestines.
Imodium Multi-Symptom ReliefThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to loperamide or simethicone. Do not use this medicine if you have a fever, if you have blood in your stools, or if you are bleeding from your rectum.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids whenever you are having diarrhea. This will help keep you from becoming dehydrated.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using any type of antibiotic. Diarrhea is a side effect of many antibiotics. In most cases, you should not take medicine to stop diarrhea that is caused by certain antibiotics. Talk with your doctor if you think your diarrhea may be caused by your recent use of an antibiotic medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a history of liver disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are still having diarrhea after using this medicine for 2 days. Also tell your doctor if your diarrhea gets worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stool.
- Constipation, nausea, drowsiness.
- Mucus in your stools.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.