Mannitol (By injection)
Treats early kidney failure by increasing urination. This helps the body get rid of extra fluids. Treats brain swelling and increased pressure in the eye. Also treats poisoning by increasing urination to remove toxins from the body.
OsmitrolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have severe dehydration (fluid loss). You should not receive this medicine if you have kidney failure and you have completely stopped passing urine. You should not use this medicine if you have bleeding problems in your brain. You should stop this medicine if it has not made your kidney failure better. You should stop this medicine if it has caused you to have heart failure or fluid in the lungs.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease or breathing problems. Tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, or problems with the amount of fluid in your body.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, arm pain, or a heartbeat that is fast or uneven.
- Confusion, muscle weakness, or muscle cramps.
- Constipation (hard dry stools that are less often than usual) or belly pain.
- Coughing or shortness of breath.
- Fever or chills.
- Loss of feeling or tingling anywhere in your body.
- No increase in passing urine, trouble passing urine, or a decrease in how much or how often you pass urine.
- Skin rash.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Swelling, redness, or pain where the needle was placed.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or problems with your eyes.
- Dizziness, headache, or fainting.
- Dry mouth or increased thirst.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Runny nose.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.