Rocuronium (By injection)
Relaxes muscles during surgery or other medical procedures.
PremierPro Rx Rocuronium Bromide, Rocuronium Bromide Novaplus, ZemuronThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to rocuronium or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or emergency room.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how rocuronium works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Lithium, procainamide, quinidine
- Antibiotics (such as amikacin, bacitracin, colistin, gentamicin, polymyxin, sodium colistimethate, streptomycin, tetracycline, vancomycin)
- Magnesium salts
- Medicine for seizures
- Steroid medicine (such as dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, heart or blood vessel disease, heart rhythm problems (such as QT prolongation), high blood pressure, myasthenia gravis, or Eaton-Lambert syndrome. Tell your doctor if you or a family member has a history of malignant hyperthermia (dangerous increase in body temperature) during surgery.
- This medicine may cause muscle problems when used for a long time in intensive care unit (ICU). Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about this.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme or ongoing muscle weakness
- Fast or uneven heartbeat, high fever, rigid muscles
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Muscle weakness or stiffness in the days after you receive this medicine
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.