Dobutamine/dextrose premix (By injection)
Dextrose (DEX-trose), Dobutamine (doe-BUE-ta-meen)
Treats heart failure and helps the heart pump blood.
DOBUTamine HCl in Dextrose NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to dobutamine or to sulfites.
How to Use This Medicine:
- This is a very strong medicine. Make sure you understand why your doctor has ordered it for you and what the possible risks and benefits of the treatment are.
- An IV is medicine that is put directly into your body through one of your veins.
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. Use this medicine exactly as your doctor has ordered.
- This medicine should be given by a person who is trained to give IV medicine, such as a nurse. Sometimes you, a family member, or a friend can be taught to give your medicine.
- Dobutamine is sometimes given very slowly. You may need to have the IV attached for several hours or days.
If a dose is missed:
- Your doctor will decide how often this medicine should be given. Ask your doctor for instructions on what to do if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store your medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking a beta-blocker (Tenormin®, Lopressor®, Corgard®, Inderal®), an MAO inhibitor (Nardil®, Eldepryl®, Parnate®), guanethidine (Esimil®, Ismelin®), or insulin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing, hives, or severe rash
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.