Ciprofloxacin/dexamethasone (Into the ear)
Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride (sip-roe-FLOX-a-sin hye-droe-KLOR-ide), Dexamethasone (dex-a-METH-a-sone)
Treats ear infections caused by bacteria. This medicine contains a quinolone antibiotic and a corticosteroid.
CiprodexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin, dexamethasone, or similar medicines, or if you have an ear infection caused by a fungus or virus (including herpes simplex).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only in your ear.
- You may warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes. Cold drops might make you dizzy.
- Shake the medicine well just before you use it.
- Remove the cap. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch anything, including your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- Middle ear infection: Gently fold in the flap of skin at the front of the ear after you put in the drops. Let go of the flap, then fold it in again. Do this 5 times with a pumping motion. This helps move the medicine through the tube and into the middle ear.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have ear drainage 2 or more times within 6 months after you stop using the drops, tell your doctor.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.