Cefditoren pivoxil (By mouth)
Cefditoren Pivoxil (sef-di-TOE-ren pi-VOX-il)
Treats infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
SpectracefThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any type of cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotic (such as amoxicillin, ampicillin, cefaclor, cefadroxil, cephalexin, nafcillin, ticarcillin, Amoxil®, Augmentin®, Ceftin®, Cefzil®, Keflex®), or if you are allergic to milk protein (not the same as lactose intolerant). You should not use cefditoren if you have a carnitine deficiency or certain metabolic disorders. Talk with your doctor about what these disorders are.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- It is best to take this medicine with a meal.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a tightly-closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using probenecid (Benemid®), antacids (Maalox®, Mylanta®), or medicines to reduce stomach acid (Axid®, Pepcid®, Tagamet®, Zantac®), or if you have ever taken blood thinners (Coumadin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. Cefditoren can affect the results of certain medical tests.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Sores, pain, or white patches in your mouth or throat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dryness or unusual taste in your mouth
- Increase or decrease in appetite
- Mild skin rash
- Nausea, constipation
- Unusual dreams or problems with sleep
- Vaginal itching or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.