Bimatoprost (Into the eye)
The eyedrops reduce pressure inside the eye. The eyelash solution helps eyelashes grow.
Latisse, LumiganThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to bimatoprost.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Do not use other eyedrops within 5 minutes before or 5 minutes after putting bimatoprost drops in your eyes.
- Remove contact lenses before you use this medicine. Wait at least 15 minutes before you put the contact lenses back in.
- To use the eyedrop (Lumigan®):
- Tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket. Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. If you think you did not get the drop of medicine into your eye properly, repeat the directions with another drop. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Recap the bottle immediately after use.
- To use the eyelash solution (Latisse):
- Wash your face, and remove any eye make-up. Place 1 drop of the solution on the disposable sterile applicator. Apply it evenly along the skin at the base of the upper eyelashes. Remove any excess solution around the eyes with a tissue or cloth. Use a new applicator to apply solution to the base of the upper eyelashes on the other eye. Do not apply this medicine on the lower eyelashes. Throw the applicator away after each use.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Use only the brand of medicine your doctor prescribed. Other brands may not work the same way.
- Missed Lumigan® dose: Use the medicine as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and use a regular amount of the eyedrops. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Missed Latisse solution dose: Skip the missed dose and apply it the next evening. Do not apply extra solution to make up for the missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container in the refrigerator or at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have an eye infection, lens problems, or other eye problems (such as iritis or uveitis).
- If you hurt your eye, develop an eye infection, or need to have eye surgery, talk with your doctor right away. You may need to change your medicine or stop using it.
- This medicine may make your eyes or eyelids permanently darker.
- Wipe off any excess medicine that comes into contact with other skin areas. The medicine may cause hair growth in those other areas.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Changes in vision
- Discharge from the eye
- Redness, pain, itching, or swelling of the eye or eyelid
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Darkening of the skin
- Dry eyes, mild eye discomfort, or feeling that something is in your eye
- Sensitivity to bright light
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.