Dolasetron (By mouth)
Prevents nausea and vomiting that may happen with chemotherapy.
AnzemetThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to dolasetron.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Talk to your child's doctor if your child cannot swallow the tablets.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how dolasetron works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Fentanyl, lithium, mirtazapine, tramadol
- A diuretic (water pill)
- A MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
- Medicine to treat heart rhythm problems (such as flecainide, quinidine, verapamil)
- Medicine to treat depression
- Medicine to treat migraine headaches
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, heart failure, heart disease, heart rhythm problems (such as congenital long QT syndrome), or a slow heartbeat.
- This medicine can cause the following problems:
- Changes in your heart rhythm
- A serious drug reaction called serotonin syndrome (more likely when used with certain other medicines)
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, restlessness, fever, sweating, muscle spasms, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seeing or hearing things that are not there
- Chest pain, fast, slow, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.