Phenoxybenzamine (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure and sweating caused by pheochromocytoma.
DibenzylineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to phenoxybenzamine, or if you have a condition that could be worsened by very low blood pressure.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Missed dose:Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how phenoxybenzamine works. Tell your doctor if you are using diet pills or medicine to treat colds, hay fever, or a stuffy nose.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, chest pain (angina), blood vessel disease, a lung infection, or kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that may be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Dizziness may be worse when you stand up quickly. It may help to rise slowly from a sitting or lying position.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stuffy nose
- Tiredness or drowsiness
- Trouble with ejaculation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.