Butenafine (On the skin)
Treats athlete's foot and other fungal infections of the skin.
Lotrimin Ultra, MentaxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to butenafine or to similar medicines, such as terbinafine or naftifine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often to use it. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than directed by your doctor.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Use the medicine on both feet if you have athlete's foot. If you use the medicine after you bathe, thoroughly dry your feet and between your toes with a clean towel before you apply the medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use other medicines on the same area of your skin that you are using butenafine, unless directed by your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better after 3 to 4 weeks or if symptoms get worse (more redness, blisters, itching, or sores) after you use this medicine.
- This medicine will only treat certain kinds of infections. Do not use it to treat other skin conditions such as diaper rash or vaginal infections.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Itching, rash, swelling, blisters, or redness that were not there before you used this medicine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stinging or burning where the medicine is put on your skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.