Cycloserine (By mouth)
Treats tuberculosis (TB). Sometimes used to treat urinary tract infections (UTIs).
SeromycinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cycloserine. You should not use cycloserine if you drink large amounts of alcohol or have seizures (epilepsy), mental problems, depression, severe anxiety, or severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Take this medicine on a regular schedule. Keep taking the medicine for as long as your doctor has ordered, even if you are feeling better. If you stop the medicine too soon, your infection may not completely go away.
- You may take this medicine with food or on an empty stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the capsules at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking cycloserine. You are more likely to have serious side effects such as seizures if you drink alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking ethionamide (Trecator-SC®) or isoniazid (INH®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Tell your doctor right away if you become depressed or start to have thoughts about hurting yourself.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. If it does, avoid driving or using machinery. Tell your doctor if these symptoms do not go away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trembling or tremors
- Depressed mood, thoughts of hurting yourself
- Severe anxiety, confusion, memory loss
- Changes in your personality such as aggressive behavior
- Rash or hives
- Trouble talking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.