Piperacillin/tazobactam (By injection)
Piperacillin Sodium (pi-per-a-SIL-in SOE-dee-um), Tazobactam Sodium (taz-oh-BAK-tam SOE-dee-um)
Treats infections. The medicine contains a penicillin antibiotic.
Piperacillin Sodium-Tazobactam Sodium Novaplus, PremierPro Rx Piperacillin and Tazobactam, ZosynThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to piperacillin, tazobactam, or similar antibiotic medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how piperacillin/tazobactam works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Other medicine to treat an infection (including tobramycin)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, congestive heart failure, or cystic fibrosis. Tell your doctor if you have a history of allergies or are on a low-salt diet.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Bleeding problems
- Serious skin reactions
- Severe diarrhea
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine. It may occur 2 months or more after you stop using this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Diarrhea that may contain blood
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, trouble sleeping
- Mild diarrhea, constipation, nausea
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.