Ceftriaxone (By injection)
Treats infections. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
Amerinet Choice cefTRIAXone, PremierPro Rx cefTRIAXone, cefTRIAXone NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to any other cephalosporin antibiotic.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or through a needle placed into a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, anemia, gallbladder disease, pancreas problems, or a history of stomach or bowel disease, such as colitis. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to penicillin.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Severe diarrhea, diarrhea that contains blood, or vomiting
- Shortness of breath, tiredness, uneven heartbeat
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change or loss of taste
- Dizziness or headache
- Mild rash or itching skin
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the shot is given
- Vaginal itching or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.