Amlodipine (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure and angina (chest pain). This medicine is a calcium channel blocker.
NorvascThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to amlodipine.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you. Take this medicine at the same time each day.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it has been more than 12 hours since you were supposed to take your dose, skip the missed dose and take your next regular dose at the regular time.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how amlodipine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Clarithromycin, cyclosporine, diltiazem, itraconazole, ritonavir, sildenafil, simvastatin, tacrolimus
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, heart disease, coronary artery disease, or aortic stenosis.
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much, especially when you first use it or if you are dehydrated. Stand or sit up slowly if you feel lightheaded or dizzy.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor, even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness
- New or worsening chest pain
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or legs
- Trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating, fainting
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.