Meclofenamate (By mouth)
Treats fever, arthritis, and mild to moderate pain. This medicine is an NSAID.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to meclofenamate, aspirin, or other pain and arthritis medicines such as Motrin®, Indocin®, Naprosyn® or Aleve®, Tolectin®, or Clinoril®. The reaction may have included wheezing or trouble breathing, hives, rash, or swelling in the face.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- You may take the medicine with food, milk, or antacids (such as Maalox® or Mylanta®) so it does not upset your stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use this medicine with aspirin, products that contain aspirin, naproxen (Aleve®) or ibuprofen (Advil®or Motrin®).
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking Coumadin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have heart disease, high blood pressure, liver or kidney disease, blood disorders, or ulcers or other stomach problems.
- Ulcers and stomach bleeding are sometimes caused by this type of medicine. These problems can happen without warning signs. You may need to see your doctor for regular check-ups while being treated with this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe rash or hives
- Rapid swelling of face or around eyes
- Chest tightness or trouble breathing
- Sore throat or fever
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellowing of skin or eyes
- Decreased amount of urine
- Severe stomach pain or vomiting blood
- Black, tarry or bloody stools
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Heartburn or gas
- Swelling of feet or legs or weight gain
- Ringing in the ears
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.