Fluphenazine hydrochloride (By mouth)
Fluphenazine Hydrochloride (floo-FEN-a-zeen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats schizophrenia and different types of behavior problems. Belongs to a class of drugs called phenothiazines.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had a previous allergic reaction to fluphenazine or to any other phenothiazines, such as Thorazine®, Mellaril®, or Stelazine®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take with food or drink to avoid stomach upset.
- Gently shake the oral liquid before use. Carefully measure the dose using the marked dropper that comes with the medicine.
- The oral liquid may be mixed with one-half glass of water, orange juice, or grape juice. Do not mix with liquids that contain caffeine (such as coffee, tea, or cola). Mix the medicine just before taking the dose. Drink the mixture right away.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store in the oral liquid in the refrigerator; do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking any other drugs that could make you sleepy such as narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, sedatives, or cold or allergy medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking fluphenazine if you have a history of breast cancer, seizures, glaucoma, heart, liver, or kidney disease.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Fluphenazine can make some people feel dizzy or drowsy. Be careful if driving a car or operating machinery.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine without checking with your doctor.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Try not to spend long periods in direct sunlight.
- You may be more sensitive to hot and cold temperatures while taking this medicine.
- There is a risk of side effects that include muscle spasms, twitching in the face and body, and uncontrolled tongue or jaw movement. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, severe muscle stiffness
- Rapid breathing or heartbeat
- Spasms of the neck, face, or back
- Muscle twitching or jerking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Agitation or restlessness
- Dry mouth, loss of appetite, nausea
- Changes in vision, such as difficulty focusing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.