Meprobamate (By mouth)
Treats tension, anxiety, and nervousness. Belongs to a class of drugs called tranquilizers.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to meprobamate, carbromal, or carisoprodol.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Long Acting Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Take this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered.
- Swallow extended-release capsule whole. Do not break, chew, or crush.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking any other medicines that could make you sleepy such as sleeping pills, tranquilizers, antidepressants, cold and allergy medicines, or pain killers.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking meprobamate if you have epilepsy, or liver or kidney disease.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- This medicine may cause drowsiness. Be careful when driving or using machinery.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. You should not use more or take for a longer period of time than your doctor orders.
- Talk to your doctor before you stop taking this medicine. You may need to take smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping the medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin rash or itching
- Slurred speech
- Severe drowsiness and weakness
- Trouble breathing
- Unexplained fever or sore throat
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness, clumsiness
- Vision changes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.