Dihydrotachysterol (By mouth)
Treats lack of calcium in the body (hypocalcemia). Dihydrotachysterol is a form of vitamin D.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- This medicine may either be mixed with foods such as cereal and fruit juice, or be dropped into the mouth.
- May be taken with or without food.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in the original container, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid taking antacids (such as Maalox® or Mylanta®) while taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking diuretic medicine (water pills) such as hydrochlorothiazide.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney stones before you take this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat or fainting spells
- Confusion, loss of balance, or severe tiredness
- Severe stomach pain
- Bone pain
- Foaming or cloudy urine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Persistent headache
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.