Dipivefrin (Into the eye)
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to dipivefrin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- To use the C Cap® applicator: When using for the first time, make sure the number "1" appears in the window. If not, click the cap to the right position. Take off the cap and apply the medicine. Put the cap back on and turn the bottle until the cap clicks to the next station.
- Repeat these steps every time you use this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Regular visits to your doctor are required to measure your eye pressure.
- Eye drops can sometimes cause an unusual taste in the back of the mouth or throat. This is normal.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Eye irritation, burning or stinging
- Eyes sensitive to sunlight
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.