Lorazepam (By mouth)
Ativan, LORazepam IntensolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to lorazepam or similar medicines, or if you have acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Mix the oral solution with water, juice, soda, applesauce, or pudding. Drink or eat the mixture right away. Do not store it for later use.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If you are more than 1 hour late, skip the missed dose and wait until it is time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Tablets: Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Oral solution: Refrigerate the oral solution. Throw away an opened bottle after 90 days.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how lorazepam works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Theophylline, aminophylline
- Medicine to treat seizures
- Medicine to treat depression or mental illness
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have glaucoma, liver disease, lung problems, or a history of depression, alcohol or drug addiction, or seizures.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Depression, confusion, thoughts of hurting yourself
- Severe drowsiness or weakness, slow heartbeat, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, clumsiness
- Unusual tiredness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.