Carisoprodol (By mouth)
Treats pain and stiffness from muscle spasms.
SomaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to carisoprodol, meprobamate, or tybamate, or if you have a history of porphyria.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- This medicine is not for long-term use. This medicine should only be used for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how carisoprodol works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- St John's wort
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine. Check with your doctor before you use any other medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or seizures, or you have a history of drug abuse or dependence.
- Carisoprodol can cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Changes in vision
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Lightheadedness, fainting, or severe weakness
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.