Oxazepam (By mouth)
Treats anxiety, anxiety with depression, and symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Belongs to a group of drugs called benzodiazepines.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to oxazapam or other related medicines, such as Valium®, Librium®, or Halcion®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, take the missed dose as soon as possible unless you are more than 1 hour late.
- If you are more than one hour late, skip the missed dose and return to your usual time to use your medicine.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature away from excess heat, moisture, and light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while using this medicine.
- Talk with your doctor before using any medicine that makes you drowsy, such as sleeping pills, tranquilizers, pain killers, or cold or allergy medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have glaucoma, liver disease, kidney disease, or lung disease before using this medicine.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Talk with your doctor before you stop using this medicine,especially if you have been using it for a long time or in large doses. The doctor may have you take smaller and smaller doses before you stop completely.
- Older patients and children may have more severe side effects from this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Depressed mood or severe confusion
- Muscle weakness or extreme unsteadiness
- Skin rash
- Hallucinations or changes in behavior
- Irregular heart beat
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or tired feeling
- Dizziness, clumsiness, difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Blurred vision
- "Hangover" effect after bedtime use
- Difficulty going to the bathroom (urinating)
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.