Sodium fluoride (By mouth)
Sodium Fluoride (SOE-dee-um FLOOR-ide)
Helps develop healthy teeth and prevent cavities.
Act Anticavity, Act Braces Care, Act Kids, Act Restoring, Act Total Care, Act Total Care Dry Mouth, Act Total Care Sensitive, Fluor-A-Day, Fluorabon, Fluoritab, Flura-Drops, Listerine HealthyWhite, Listerine Naturals with Fluoride, Listerine Restoring, Listerine Smart RinseThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fluoride.
How to Use This Medicine:
Chewable Tablet, Lozenge, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
- Chew or crush the chewable tablet before swallowing. Take this medicine at bedtime after brushing your teeth.
- To use the oral liquid, squeeze the right number of drops into the mouth using the dropper. Or you can mix the medicine with juice or food (but not dairy foods such as ice cream or yogurt).
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in the original container, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use calcium pills or foods rich in calcium (like milk, cheese, or yogurt) within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Too much fluoride can cause white patches or yellow or brown spots on the teeth. If this happens, stop using the medicine and call your doctor.
- You should not use this medicine more often or in larger amounts than your doctor ordered.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools or bloody vomit.
- Painful or aching bones.
- Skin rash.
- Sores on mouth or lips.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne-like skin changes.
- Stomach cramps, nausea, or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.